Saturday, February 03, 2007

Bad day

Well, not so much a bad day as a really not good day. It all start out good, and ended good, but the middle was bad. Puff, (not Hazel for once) was all sickly looking, and her eye was gross and swollen and not living at home, I didn't know this, but apparently it had been like this since SATURDAY and no one bothered to tell me until Thursday after work, after the vet was closed. So I got her in yesterday, and the verdict is not good.

Apparently she scratched her eye somehow (probably fighting with Hazel), and got it infected. So now there are three options: 1) put her to sleep 2) they remove the eye, and there are alot of other complications that go along with that, including the more antibiotics, and of course, possible complications that go along with the fact that most of the neverous system, and some ateries, and so forth run along the back of the eye socket. 3) is that we do at least a month of antibiotics, and there is very little chance that she will make it if we do that, and very little chance that they're not gonna have to remove the eye anyhow.

So while it is a horrible choice to have to make, I really think the safest, and most humane thing to do for her is to put her to sleep. There are several problems with this as well, because bunnies are social creatures, and Hazel and Puff have been together since they were born minus a few nights at the vet for Hazel, about a week of Hazel living in the bathroom due to a cone around her face, and about a week of Hazel living in the wilderness of our backyard when she managed to literally climb out of the rabbit hutch when she was very little. Hazel cries at night when Puff isn't around, so I don't know what to do. I'm afraid that as soon as Hazel realizes that Puff isn't coming back that she will stop eating, and just generally lose the will to live, and as such, she will pass away shortly after Puff does.

The only thing really making this any easier is they fact they they are both around 7-8 years old now (they actually should have just turned 8) and most rabbits don't live to see 10. So, it's not like they are young, and they have had good lives, lots of treats, no need to actually do anything. Litterally spoiled rotten. So, I'm tempted to get a kitten for Hazel to play with, because cats and rabbits get along okay if they are trained from the beginning, and Hazel hasn't had any bad experiences with cats yet. However, I'd much rather have a dog, and having a cat for her to play with would require that they live with me, and pet deposit is rediculously expensive.

Anyhow, so it sucks, but I'm still pretty sure that the first option is the nicest. I'm trying really hard to not let if affect me, so I'm sorry if it does.

I'm done ranting now.
Over and out good buddies,
~Liz~

1 comment:

Tabz said...

That sucks! I hope you can figure out what to do.