Thursday, November 03, 2005

Drug Testing... yech!

Okay, so as some to most of you know, I recently got obliged into a scanning job, or "utilities worker" job by my mother at her company. As all of you know, I've been working at KIPR for over a year and a half now. So, as a temporary, part-time employee of IHS (my mother's company of work) I have to get an Occupational Test done. Basically, from what I understand, this is simply a pee in the cup sort of drug test. There are a reasons that I don't like this idea, and none of them involve any threat of me testing positive for using drugs. (Imagine that, Meagan doesn't do drugs.... crazy!)
The first reason is integrity. I don't really understand what a company is trying to convey to it's employees when it forces them to get a drug test done in order to work at the company. It's basically, to me, like accusing you before they even know you. If they don't trust you, why do you work for them? That is, I'd rather work somewhere that pays me less, but actually trusts me. By forcing everyone to take a drug test, the company gives up it's integrity, and creates a bad model for all of it's employees. (What, you can't find your pen? Let's go through every desk so we can find it, or better yet, we'll do a lie-detector test and see who stole it.)
The second reason is well, come on. Peeing in a cup. That is so 70's. Now-a-days, we can find out whether you've done drugs or not by taking blood samples, or even by just taking one strand of hair. What is the point of peeing in a cup? Everyone who is taking the test knows that it is gonna happen in advanced, because they tell you to drink plenty of fluids, and so forth. If you wanted to crack down on drug use, you could/should test a strand of hair. You can get alot more information out of one strand of hair than you can out of urine. Hair has rings (of sorts) kindda like a tree. If you did drugs two years back, and your hair is long enough that the bit that grew out of your roots two years back is still there, they will know that you did drugs back then. A lot more stuff ends up noted in your hair than you'd think.
Finally, it's slightly infuriating that they don't believe you, or won't even consider it. What has our world come to that you don't trust anyone? Does a person's word not mean anything anymore? Honestly, I'd rather have a blood sample taken than pee in a cup because it's just infra dig to do so. (Yes, I am arrogant and stuff, but moreover, I'd lke to keep my dignity.) Hey, I remember back in the day, people were trusted. I didn't even have to take a drug test to work at KIPR. That is nice. Ahhh, those were the days.

Anyhow, enough of my rantings, I need to eat and get some work done.
Later,
Elizabeth.

4 comments:

Mr. Greene (and His Orchestra) said...

As a jaded cynic, I distrust people as a habit, and honestly, it makes me happy that they at least make an effort to keep drug users out of my workplace...if I have to work in a giant corporate ridiculace place, it's at least a small comfort.

Anonymous said...

I've been made to pee in a cup for more than half the jobs I've had. It's not so bad. I don't think they do it because they don't trust you, they do it to remove reasons not to trust you.
In responce to Herr Greene's comment, what's wrong with having drug users in the workplace? I've been a drug user in my workplace for like two years now. If it's had any effect on my performance, it was positive. I've never shanked anyone in the break room for drug money.

Anonymous said...

So what happens if you dye your hair? Wouldn't that kill some of the rings? Haha, just wondering.

Of course peeing in a cup is probably the cheapest way to go. It in itself is expensive (so why companies want to pay for it is beyond me), but testing a hair/DNA type things sound more expensive...and the blood thing a lot of people would have a problem with I'm sure.

What was the point of my comment? I have no clue.

Mr. Greene (and His Orchestra) said...

I just realized that I can't spell ridiculous.